Friday, March 19, 2010

FINISHED

You would think that making a miniature quilt would be a snap.  It can be.  But you would be surprised how many hours can go into a miniature that is meant to go to shows.  I've spent months piecing quilts that are no larger than 16" square. This is the largest "miniature" I have ever made.  It is 21 1/2" square.  And the blocks are 3".
One of the best things about making a mini is the blocking process
I doubt that I would have the patience to block a huge quilt.  It is very nice to be able to square my quilt up on a table top.
Here it is... all finished.  Quite different than I had in my head.  I decided to go the safer route. I didn't have enough of any fabric to take a risk on messing it up experimenting.

It was hard to get a good photo.. don't worry, the border is cropped.  Looks uneven but it isn't and the photo brought out the subtle blue in the solid blocks enough that it is hard to see the quilting. 

I've had this quilt in my mind for a long time.  It is for someone else, and I don't think I will make another for myself.  I will have to think of another use for the fabrics. 

Have a good weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful. I love the softness of the full effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you explain the blocking process you use? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a gorgeous mini quilt!! I am so glad I found this mini blog. I love mini's so much and love your mini tute's
    hope you continue posting your mini's they are great incentives for me I think I will have to make one of these.. I just love it!!

    ReplyDelete