Wednesday, May 1, 2013

PLANNING AHEAD

I am a planner when it comes to making some of my quilts.  Many of my miniatures have intricate color placement which requires a lot of planning ahead.  The next quilt that I am planning is light to dark grey hand dyed gradations. So that they are placed right each color has to be numbered.  I made a large map of where the color goes because the blocks will be too small to write them in. 

Anyway, I was trying to think of an easy way to handle my fabric to keep it all straight.  I came up with this idea
My husband made the little board with screws for me to use with a quilt I made several years ago.  At the time my sewing room was in another room and I could hang it on the wall right next to my work area.  I needed something different this time.  I had a kind of idea what I wanted to do, so I went shopping.  You know, how you don't know what you want, but you will know it when you see it?  I found this heavy stand.  Meant to hold rolls of toilet paper. It turned out to be perfect for holding my little 'strip board'.  I also find shower curtain rings helpful for many things. 

I also have a little portable design wall. It has an easel back and covered the board with cork and covered it with a layer of batting. I figure if the blocks don't want to stay up by themselves, at least I can pin them to the cork.

Hopefully I can get started by the weekend.  It is going to take a while.  This time, I am going to keep track of the time spent working on this quilt so when people ask (as they always do) how long it took to make, I will be able to tell them. 

I have a final design in mind.. time will tell what it will look like in the end.  I always write in a journal as I go along, ideas, and thoughts of doing things differently. It is nice to look back at later.  It always makes me chuckle as I invariably write something along the lines of "what the heck was I thinking?"

I doubt this will be any different.

2 comments:

  1. Very Clever!!! I look forward to hearing about this and seeing the pictures! Have fun and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the clever use of common object. The colors of the fabrics are great! Can't wait to see the quilt.

    ReplyDelete