Friday, November 22, 2013


I haven't written on my blog for so long!! Although the time that I have spent has been used well.  I made a new miniature that I can't share just yet, but I learned a lot of things while making it that I would like to share.  The last time I was here, I showed you the set up for a miniature with grey hand dyes.  In the meantime, I got an idea for another quilt. And I actually have nearly finished it although it has taken months to piece, and months to quilt.  When I started it, I decided to keep track of the time that I spent working on it. When I got to 200, and I wasn't even close to finishing the top, I quit counting.
Part of the quilt contains 3/4" Clamshells. Through trial and error, I finally came up with a way to turn , starch, and press the upper edge to produce uniform clamshells.  As you can see, I used two pins to pin the template to a tailor's ham and another pin to hold down the basting threads.  Then I dabbed the seam allowance with starch and pressed it without burning my finger tips or cramping up my fingers trying to hold everything in place with one hand while pressing with the other.
To save time winding bobbins, I have used these big notebook rings to hold full bobbins, so they are ready for each project. I hang them nearby.

I used a Rubbermaid divided container to keep the pieces of fabric that I would need for the paper-piecing.
I draped the prospective fabric choices over the top of my tabletop design wall.  When I drafted the design, I only had a basic idea of what I would ultimately end up with. I had no firm idea what size it would be until I finished it.  But when it takes so long to piece something like this, I had a lot of time to think about what I would do. I was surprised  how it turned out.
But through it all, it is important to admit to yourself when something isn't working, and no matter how much time you have put into construction, if it isn't good enough, don't be afraid to use the seam ripper no matter how bad it hurts!!!

Hopefully, I won't be gone for long now.  My friends and I are hoping to put together an exhibit of two color miniatures.  Red and White and Blue and White.  I have started one, and have 2 or 3 more that I would like to do.  So expect me to be posting more often.  Until then, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

1 comment:

  1. YES, Way TOO Long! Nice to see what you are working on. Froggin' is a Necessary evil at my house too.