Friday, March 12, 2010

ONWARD TO THE END

This weekend, I am going to try hard to finish.  I realize that I do not have enough fabric to make bias binding for the whole thing.  BUT.. I am going to try to make do with what I have if I can do two edges scalloped, and two straight.
First I tried making a mock up of the border out of freezer paper.  This wasn't a great idea.  I talked to a guild friend that designed a quilt pattern with scalloped edges.  She told me a simple formula and some tips so that I could try it. 
Luckily, today I found these at Walmart.  They are made by June Taylor.  Called "Simple Circles" they are 4 1/2 to 91/2 " acrylic templates.  
I measured from the top of one side of the border to the corner, then I cut freezer paper that size.  I used the 4.5" circle and overlapped the 1/4" seam allowance.  This gave me 4 scallops
After looking at this photo, I decided to move the scallops within 1/4-1/2" of the edge. 
I will then get out another piece of freezer paper and use this template to  make the corner scallop pattern.  I need to mark this before I quilt it.

Funny thing, doing this blog.  I post photos of ideas, and then when I look at the photos, I think that maybe the idea is not a good one.  I don't know if I will like this at all.  Maybe I can have it both ways by quilting scallops.. and leaving the edges straight.  Then I could just do a straight binding.

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Well, not sure what value my opinion is here but since you asked, I like it better without the scallops -- but perhaps I'm having trouble visualizing them in the darker border color. Though I have to say those half circle templates look pretty nifty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always drawn to the innovative and different so I like the scallops on two sides.
    However, maybe it's such a traditional block that it needs to be a traditional finish.
    I'm conflicted, but coming down on the side of traditional.

    ReplyDelete